Blank NEWS Online can disclose that teachers in Delta state owned secondary and primary schools have commenced an indefinite strike action over unresolved issues with the state government.
A Communique jointly signed by the state Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Comrade Emmanuel A. Adhe; Assistant Secretary General, Comrade Elder Joe Iyalekhue and State Publicity Secretary, Comarade Friday Umurhurhu stated that “SWEC-in session hereby directs teachers in all public primary and post primary schools in the state to embark on an indefinite strike action, with effect from Tuesday 18th September 2012.”
The vexatious issues include:
- Non-restoration of the 27.5 per cent Teachers Peculiar Allowance to teachers in the state.
- Non-release of promotions to teachers since 2011.
- Non-payment of the arrears of minimum wage to primary school teachers in the state.
- Non-payment of Consolidated Salary Structure arrears.
- Non-promotion of stagnated school principals to SGL 17.
- Continued stagnation of university graduate teachers in our primary school system on SGL 14.
Meanwhile, Blank NEWS Online checks revealed that all public schools in the state capital have been closed down and placed under lock and key.
—–Exclusive details to be disclosed shortly.